Tuesday, October 26, 2010

So You Want to Be President?



So You Want to Be President?
Author: Judith St. George
Illustrator: David Small
Ages: 3-6 Grades
Rating: 4 Stars
Summary: There are several quirky characteristics that all of the Presidents have had throughout American history, but what could they possibly be? Well, reading this book lets us know as readers really interesting facts about the not only the President, but the White House and the United States.

At first, when I began reading this book, I was not enjoying it. The text on the pages seemed a little long, and I found myself wanting to skip ahead. What kept me from doing this were the pictures that go with. I have taken several classes on American History and none of them really portrayed the Presidents as they were shown in this book. Most of the pictures are caricatures of the presidents with a few more realistic pictures here and there, but mostly the illustrations are hand drawn and filled in with what looks like water colors. Although, at first I really did not enjoy this book, looking at it a second time helped me appreciate it more.

I would definitely want a book like this is my classroom, plus it is a Caldecott Medal winner. I felt that once I got past the lengthy text on each page I was able to enjoy the details I was reading about past Presidents. This book would make an excellent choice as an introduction to the history of the Presidents in almost any grade. I think I would have even enjoyed it in high school during AP U.S. History! 

No comments:

Post a Comment