Monday, October 11, 2010

Controversial Picture Books



And Tango Makes Three
Authors: Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell
Illustrator: Henry Cole
Ages: K-5
Rating: 5 Stars
Summary: Roy and Silo are two male penguins who do everything together. When it comes time to hatching an egg they even try doing this together too, but they try and use a rock which won’t hatch. Mr. Gramzay the penguin keeper gives them an egg to take care of and they make their own family.

I absolutely loved this book! The story is a simple one, but it has such an important message. And Tango Makes Three, takes the topic of homosexuality that is often left out of children’s books and explains it with the lives of penguins. I thought the story was heartwarming and, I enjoyed reading about all the characters and I was so excited to see the family care for each other and then make a family.  I especially like the ending when the keeper says “because it takes two to make a Tango.”

I think it is a great way to introduce different types of families to children. When it comes to educating or leaving children in the dark about certain topics, I feel that this one especially should be talked about. Homosexuality is something that is extremely common in our society and spreading awareness and acceptance can start in the classroom. This book could be used to introduce this topic or reinforce it when it is brought up by children in the classroom.







Little Red Riding Hood
Retold and Illustrated by: Trina Schart Hyman
Ages: 3-5
Rating: 4 Stars
Summary: This is the typical story of Little Red Riding Hood. Her mother asks her to take a basket of items to her grandmother and she comes across a wolf in the woods. The wolf decides that eating Little Red Riding Hood would be a good idea but then turns to the grandmother. A huntsman comes along and saves the day.

At first, I was really confused as to why this book was labeled as controversial. Maybe because the wolf gobbled up Little Red Riding Hood’s grandmother and that would be immoral, but I took a closer look and noticed that in this particular retelling of Little  Red Riding Hood, she takes a bottle wine to her grandmother. I could see how this would be controversial if in the end Little Red Riding Hood drank the wine with her grandmother, but she does not. Instead her grandmother offers her a cup of tea.
I really like that this book was a Caldecott Honor Book even though there was controversy behind it.

I would most definitely keep this book in my classroom for my students to read. I do not see anything wrong with it. I am unsure of how I would use this in my curriculum other than talking about traditional stories or how the pictures are so beautifully drawn. I would definitely be open to any auggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment