Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Wave



Wave
Illustrator: Suzy Lee
Type: Wordless Picture Book
Ages: K-2
Rating : 4.5 Stars
Summary: “A sunny day. A curious little girl. A playful wave.” This is how the book jacket describes what the author has included throughout the pages of the book. There is no text so the reader is able to imagine any story they would like to go along with the illustrations.

I have never read a wordless picture book before, or not that I can remember from my childhood, but I adore this book! Wordless picture books were mentioned in a class I was taking and I was confused as to why anyone would want to read one, and know I know why they would want to. This book has simple, yet eye-catching, images made up of grayscale and blue pastels. It is fascinating to see how the little girl transforms through the pages from acting apprehensive about the water into a little girl who fears nothing the water has in store for her. The simplicity of this book is captivating and allowed me to use my imagination.

This book could be tied to several other books in the classroom. Combining it with several other wordless picture books can allow a class to write a story or a poem to go along with it. Or, it could even be used in an art class to show how art can be simple and striking at the same time. I would even think that this book could be used in K-1 grades to learn about the ocean and its characterisitics.

No comments:

Post a Comment