Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Giving Tree




The Giving Tree
Author: Shel Silverstein
Type: Picture Book
Ages: All ages
Rating: 5 Stars
Summary: In this picture book, the is a tree who loves a boy and would do anything for him. The boy takes everything the tree has to offer including her apples, branches, and trunk. The tree insists on making the boy happy until one day there is nothing left for the tree to give except for a stump to sit on.

The Giving Tree is another of my childhood favorites.  To me, the book represents what it means to be selfless. The tree offers everything she possibly can to the boy and while he grows and matures she is there to sacrifice herself to make him happy. One aspect of the book that stands out is that Shel Silverstein illustrates the story with the simplest black and white drawings. I feel that the book has so much meaning in the text that is does not need to be supported with elaborate images.

Every time I read this book, I feel that the underlying message is the one of the most important life lessons that we can learn. If I were to use this in the classroom, I would most likely focus on how selflessness can be both inspiring and self-rewarding. These themes are too important to let go unnoticed. I am sure there are several ways that this book could be used to support a curriculum, and I would be up for any suggestions, but the message that the book gives is too powerful and meaningful to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment